Friday, February 17, 2012

Tip 8 (Week 8 Winter 2012): Scheduling Assistant In Depth

Scheduling Assistant in Outlook: a Few Niceties

-Open a new meeting
-Click on “Scheduling Assistant”



1. You can schedule a pre-set group.

I have e-mail groups for several subsets, for example, Reference.  So I can type in the name of the group and then click the + to expand the names.  



It will ask you if you really want to do this; you do.


Now you can check for a time when everyone is free.  If you were trying to get this group together, you’d be having a hard time…. 

2.  Don’t forget to check the room, too, while you’re at it.  I can click on the resources button below this list, find the Alden Rooms, and choose more than one at a time by holding down the shift key.

Slick.  




Now I can choose a meeting time and etc., as we have seen in other Tech Tips.

3.  


You can make some stipulations when you set your meeting: 

-request responses, for example. IF you turn this off, people don’t have to respond to your meeting request.  This is useful for an all-staff meeting, maybe, for which you do not need to know how many people plan to come.

-Allow people to suggest a different time for this meeting. I don’t recommend this unless it is a very small group! 

4.  I can force my calendar to see this meeting as busy or not busy while I am setting it up.


The guy that makes the meeting has the power!
 
5.  I like to color-code my meetings. I can do this from this screen, or later, after the meeting is in my calendar.  



You can see I’ve already made categories, and all I have to do is click on the categories tab, choose my color, and the meeting shows up in color. 

If I want to create new categories, I click on “All categories” and it lets me make a new one. 



6. I can mark this meeting “private,” so other people can only see the block, not the details. I can mark this meeting “important” and that little icon will be highlighted on the meeting page. 

You can check off TT 8 when you have used Scheduling Assistant to make a meeting with more than one person, marked it important, and color-coded it.  







No comments:

Post a Comment